Over the last year, we have been loving Triple Berry Kombucha, made with strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries. We have tried individual berry flavors in the past but were dissatisfied with the flavor. With a little experimentation, I learned that a little lemon juice greatly enhances the flavor of berry kombucha. This combination of three types of berries gives the best flavor.
Required Ingredients and EquipmentTo make flavored kombucha, you need to start with some plain kombucha. You can see my recipe for making kombucha here. Once the fruit is added, the kombucha is allowed to ferment for one day on the counter to develop the flavors and create a bit of fizz.
Mason jars work well for making flavored kombucha. If you want your kombucha to be extra fizzy, Fido jars work well.
Recipe: Triple Berry KombuchaMakes 1 quart
- 1/2 cup combined of strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries*
- 1&1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 3&1/2 cups kombucha tea
- Combine all ingredients in a quart mason jar.
- Cover tightly and allow to ferment for 1 day at room temperature.
- Transfer to the refrigerator.
- Since the berries are fairly flavorless after the fermentation process, strain them out before serving the kombucha.
Do you brew your own kombucha? What are your favorite kombucha flavors?
*Except during our local berry season, I find that frozen berries have far superior flavor to the fresh ones sold in grocery stores.