Saturday, November 19, 2011

Grain-free Thanksgiving Round-up (GAPS-legal, grain-free, gluten-free)

This will be our second Thanksgiving while on the GAPS diet.  I remember being fairly stressed about it last year (we were just wrapping up intro), but this year it will be a breeze! Our holiday will feature free-range turkey (with pan drippings instead of gravy), homemade cranberry sauce, sauerkraut, buttered broccoli, caramelized green beans, salad, and pumpkin pie clafoutis. 

Grain-free, GAPS-legal recipes for Thanksgiving 
I thought I'd share some links for grain-free (and GAPS-legal of course) Thanksgiving recipes.  Some are from my site, and others are from around the 'net.
  • Caramelized beets and carrots - This recipe is loved by both of my kids and would make a great Thanksgiving side dish. 
  • Herb gravy - Elana uses cooked onions to thicken the gravy instead of flour. Genius!
  • Simple buttered veggies - Broccoli, peas, cauliflower, or green beans are great this way.
  • Roasted cauliflower with garlic and lemon juice - I adore this recipe from Emeril. I cook it at a lower temperature for longer, and substitute a combination of butter and refined coconut oil for the olive oil (since I prefer not to cook with olive oil because most of its benefits are lost with heat).
  • Mashed butternut squash - Mashed butternut squash is a great alternative to potatoes or even sweet potatoes.  My favorite ways to season mashed butternut squash are savory (with butter, garlic, and thyme) or sweet (with ginger, garlic, nutmeg, cinnamon, and a touch of honey). 
  • Mashed cauliflower - This recipe is not quite GAPS-legal (because of the cream cheese), but it sure sounds delicious! I'd like to try it with yogurt cheese (or maybe creme fraiche) instead of the cream cheese.
  • Ginger-dill sauerkraut - Sauerkraut is a delicious, digestion-promoting ferment that pairs well with lots of foods.
  • Cranberry sauce with apples and ginger - This cranberry sauce is wonderfully tart, and spiced with ginger and orange.
  • Pumpkin pie clafoutis - This recipe is a wonderful stand-in for the traditional pumpkin pie!
  • Pecan-crusted apple crisp - I keep meaning to try this tasty-looking recipe from Real Food Forager.  
Happy Thanksgiving!

This post is part of Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways, Fat Tuesday and Monday Mania!

    1 comment:

    Laura said...

    Awe you posted my cauliflower recipe :) I am actually going to be making the Mashed cauliflower this year with yogurt cheese. I have some straining right now! Another good GAPS friendly recipe that I am going to make consists of honey roasted butternut squash and apples with pecans, walnuts, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg and sea salt. If I ever find my way back to my blog, I might post the recipe.