Our family has progressed far enough on GAPS to tolerate raw milk with no problems, and I like to keep the temperature of the milk low enough to keep the milk "raw". If you can't drink raw milk, try this recipe with coconut milk or raw cream instead.
Warm Vanilla Milk
- 2 cups raw milk OR 1 cup raw cream* plus 1 cup water OR 1 cup full-fat coconut milk plus 1 cup water**
- 3 Tb raw honey
- 3/4 tsp organic vanilla extract
- dash celtic sea salt
- optional: pinch ground cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Heat gently over medium-low heat and whisk to fully incorporate the honey. NOTE: If you want to keep your milk "raw", make sure you don't heat it past 110 degrees F. I find a digital probe thermometer to be crucial for keeping the milk from getting too hot, as I can set the thermometer to alert me when 110 degrees is reached. This also ensures that the milk is the perfect temperature for kids to drink without having to blow on it or burn their tongues. If you are using coconut milk or aren't concerned about keeping the milk raw, then go ahead and heat until nice and toasty hot.
- Serve immediately. If you find that the warm milk coos too quickly for slow drinkers, try serving it in a thermos.
**You may want to add a touch more vanilla if you use coconut milk instead of dairy.
This post is part of Fight Back Friday, Pennywise Platter, Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways, Fat Tuesday and Monday Mania!