Crustless Chicken Pizza Casserole
- 2 cups leftover cooked chicken, chopped or shredded into bite-size pieces
- 6-8 oz pizza sauce, preferably homemade (use more if you like your pizza very saucy)
- 8-12 large fresh basil leaves (optional)
- 8 oz shredded low-moisture mozzarella or mild cheddar cheese (mozzarella is not GAPS-legal)
- 4 oz grated Parmesan cheese
- Pizza toppings of choice (I like sauteed mushrooms and onions with green chile, nitrate-free salami, and fresh garlic)
- NOTE: any high-moisture veggies such as mushrooms or zucchini will need to be sauteed to release the moisture before adding them to your pizza casserole. I've used raw onions that were very finely diced with no problem, but of course they are tastier if you saute them anyway.
- Homemade ranch dressing, for dipping (optional)
- Spread chicken over the bottom of an 8-inch square casserole dish.
- Spread the pizza sauce over the chicken. Add the optional basil leaves.
- Sprinkle half of the mozzarella (or cheddar) cheese over the sauce.
- Add your pizza toppings.
- Add the remaining half of the mozzarella or cheddar cheese. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake in an oven or large toaster oven at 350 degrees F for about 20-30 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool a bit before serving. My family loves to dip this pizza casserole in homemade ranch dressing! A side salad or veggie sticks make an excellent accompaniment.