Cheese and Veggie Cakes
3-4 summer squash (such as yellow crookneck or zucchini)
1.5 tsp celtic sea salt
8 oz cooked bacon or ham, minced
5 oz shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
3 eggs, preferably from pastured hens
1/4 cup almond flour, preferably from crispy almonds
1/4 tsp celtic sea salt
pinch of freshly ground pepper
Butter (or other cooking fat, such as bacon grease or tallow)
Sour cream, to garnish
- Shred the veggies and remove the water: Using a food processor or grater, shred the squash and carrots. Combine the shredded veggies with 1.5 tsp salt, stir well, and place in a colander or strainer. Place the colander or strainer over a bowl and let sit for several hours. This is a very important step to pull the water out of the veggies.
- Rinse and drain the veggies: While still in the colander, rinse the shredded veggies with plenty of water and then drain well. Press down on the veggies to really squeeze the water out.
- Combine veggies and other ingredients: In a medium bowl, combine veggies, bacon or ham, cheddar and Parmesan cheeses, eggs, almond flour, 1/4 tsp salt, and a pinch of pepper. Stir well.
- Heat griddle or skillet: Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat. You'll know it is ready when a drop of water sizzles immediately.
- Cook cakes in butter: Melt some butter (or other cooking fat) on the griddle or skillet. Use a 3 Tb scoop or large spoon to scoop the veggie/cheese mixture onto the griddle. Cook the cakes over medium-low heat, flipping them after about 7-10 minutes. Allow them to become nicely browned, and then place them on a napkin or paper towel to cool. Melt some more butter and continue cooking the cakes, a few at a time.
- Garnish and enjoy: Top the cheese and veggie cakes with a smear of sour cream, and enjoy!