Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Easy Grain-free Breakfasts for Weekday Mornings

An easy breakfast can quite a challenge for people eating a nourishing diet, and moreover for people eating a grain-free diet.  However, with a bit of planning, it is easy to prepare breakfasts that are fast, easy, and delicious.  While I typically cook scrambled eggs and veggies for myself and the kids most mornings, my husband needs breakfast meals that require little-to-no preparation on weekday mornings.

When you are following a nourishing diet, you have to make almost everything from scratch as healthy pre-prepared foods are pretty much nonexistent at the store. For us, the key to having plenty of easy breakfasts during the week is to make ahead some foods during the weekend.  On a typical weekend, I will make a batch of muffins or a double recipe of clafoutis, plus a pack of bacon, and some eggs (either scrambled or egg muffins).  Then, all my husband has to do on weekday mornings is warm a muffin and/or container of eggs in the toaster oven while he goes about the rest of his morning routine.

Make-ahead Grain-free Warm Breakfast Items
During the weekend, make a few of these items.  Store these items in individual glass containers for easy re-heating on weekday mornings. To re-heat these items, use a toaster oven set at 200-250 degrees for about 20 minutes. Avoid using a microwave to re-heat the leftovers.

Simple Grain-free Cold Breakfasts
In addition to the warm breakfast items you prepare on the weekend, keep a stock of some cold breakfast items. This will allow plenty of variety for breakfast during the week.
With a little planning and preparation, weekday breakfasts can be simple and easy.  What are your favorite grain-free breakfasts?
    *Crispy nuts are nuts that have been soaked in water with a little salt for 12-24 hours and then dried in the dehydrator until crispy (which usually takes about 20-24 hours at 155 degrees F in my Nesco dehydrator). Soaking the nuts neutralizes phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors. Phytic acid blocks mineral absorption of calcium and magnesium; enzyme inhibitors make nuts hard to digest. I periodically make a large batch of crispy nuts to have on hand, and grind some into flour that is stored in the freezer.

    This post is part of Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop, Pennywise Platter at The Nourishing Gourmet, Monday Mania at The Healthy Home Economist and Fight Back Friday at Food Renegade! 

      20 comments:

      Megan said...

      Thank you for these ideas! I'm always searching for grain-free options in the morning... I usually fall back on smoothies made with whole milk yogurt & a nutbutter & a banana, or bacon & eggs, but I love having little pastry-type items on hand for something easy to grab.
      I do wish we had a toaster oven & a dehydrator as well, but we already have SO many appliances, I'm not sure where'd they be stored! I do a lot of reheating in my oven to avoid the microwave.

      Sarah Smith said...

      Yes, it is so easy to have appliance overload! I made sure when we bought our toaster oven that it was large enough to bake a chicken in, so it gets used a lot! We live in the desert, so it is nice to have something small to use in the warm months that does not heat up the house too much.

      The Voogts said...

      These all look great!! Thanks for following my blog. Good to see a fellow retired engineer working hard to raise her family :) I worked at an aerospace company for 6 years before having kids :)

      Sarah Smith said...

      Mary, yes it is great to see another former engineer who is now a SAHM! Glad to see you here, too.

      Anonymous said...

      Sarah, Thanks so much for the tips!
      I've been making lots of smoothies lately. Normally I drink them immediately.
      But I love the idea of having them on hand, pre-made. I normally add egg yolks to my smoothies; would it be safe to freeze and store them in the fridge 24 hrs with the egg yolks?
      Thanks,Bess

      Sarah Smith said...

      Hi Bess, yes I think it is safe to have the egg yolks in the fridge for a day. I also put egg yolks (and even whole raw eggs sometimes) in my smoothies and have not had any problem with freezing and then thawing. The smoothies do tend to separate a bit after being frozen, but a quick stir remedies that. I'm actually planning a post in the next couple weeks about smoothies, so be on the look out!

      Chris said...

      These are so brilliant and helpful! Thanks. I was commenting in a post on my blog how much time I'm spending on breakfast. Right now, my husband's unemployed, so it's not such a big deal, but hopefully soon he'll be working again and we'll need less time-consuming breakfast ideas. I suggested to him the other day that when he's working, I could get up early, make our usual bacon, liver pate, eggs, sauteed veggies and carrot juice and whiz it up into a smoothie for him, but I think he'll like your ideas better. :-)

      Lisa@The Nourishing Homemaker said...

      Great ideas! Thanks for sharing. I am going to have to try some of those recipes. They sound great!

      Melissa Naasko said...

      Great ideas! I made a Lenten promise to try to broaden our breakfast offerings, so thanks! By the way, I stopped in from Healthy Home Econ.

      Anonymous said...

      My favorite quick morning breakfast is to just do a whole food take on the typical cereal with milk. I fill a small bowl with fresh fruit and then top it with yogurt. It comes together as quickly as cereal if you use berries or already prepped fruits. Sometimes I add a bit of nut butter to the mix, too.

      Sara said...

      Thanks for sharing all these ideas in one post! I'm always looking for easy breakfast recipes and it's been very challenging now that I'm trying to eat mostly grain-free. I am going make the banana blueberry muffins tonight.

      When you cook your bacon in the oven, does it get crispy? I've always wondered.

      Sarah Smith said...

      Hi Sara. Yes, the bacon can get crispy in the oven, and I do not even use a rack to cook it on. But usually only the outside pieces get crispy; I tend to crowd my dish but if you left plenty of space I bet it would all get crispy. My husband happens to like it soft and barely cooked (bleh) so I eat the crispy pieces and he eats the softer ones.

      Unknown said...

      I may try the smoothie idea and just put a stick in each container so I can hand out "breakfast popsicles" instead of thawing it. I never remember to thaw stuff in advance!

      Shu Han said...

      ny favourite breakfast is eggs, eggs in any form! I also often make extra for dinner just so i can have leftovers for breakfast! delicious! quiche especially, because it's so versatile and great for breakfast lunch or dinner (: you can make it crustless too for a grain free (plus fuss free) option, which is what i usually opt for(:

      http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/05/sambal-chilli-asparagus-and-gruyere.html

      Audry said...

      I just found your post and we're going grain free.
      Are you reheating already scrambled eggs? Does that really work?

      Sarah Smith said...

      Hi Audry - Yes, we are re-heating scrambled eggs, and it works fine. We re-heat them in the toaster oven at ~200-250 degrees for about 20 minutes. I definitely wouldn't use the microwave, though.

      Erin said...

      Thank you! some of our favourites are
      http://sevenlittleaustralians.blogspot.com/2011/09/grain-free-cereal.html
      http://sevenlittleaustralians.blogspot.com/2011/03/grain-free-breakfast-ideas.html

      Anonymous said...

      I suggest you add your banana bread recipe to this list of quick breakfast ideas. It is delicious and easy. I added 1tsp of cinnamon to my batter.

      Anonymous said...

      It’s really such nice information to get advantage from.
      weight loss supplements for women

      Anonymous said...

      Really amazing blog!!! I enjoyed the complete article? enormous written. dental implants south bay