I love the ease of roasting chicken in the slow cooker, and the delicious, juicy meat that results. Chicken roasted in the slow cooker does not have crispy skin, but the meat is very moist and flavorful.
Slow Cooker Roasted Chicken
- one large white onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup vermouth* or dry white wine (or substitute water)
- 1/2 tsp celtic sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3-pound whole chicken, preferably pastured or free-range
- 1 Tb celtic sea salt
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tb softened butter, preferably nutrient-dense
- About 8-10 hours before dinner, add the onion, vermouth, and 1/2 tsp salt to the slow cooker. Cook on HIGH. (If you don't plan to consume the onions along with the chicken, or if you don't mind the onions being a bit crunchy, you could do all of this at the same time as the next step.)
- Six hours before dinner, it is time to add the chicken and spices. Sprinkle the garlic, bay leaves, and thyme over the onions in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Wash the chicken well inside and out with plenty of water. Pat dry.
- Gently lift the skin from over the chicken breast and push the butter in between the skin and the breast. The butter will melt over the chicken breasts while they cook, making them very moist and yummy.
- Season the chicken inside and out with one Tb of salt and 3/4 tsp pepper. Place the chicken on top of the onions/spices in the slow cooker.
- Cook on LOW for about 5 hours, or until the internal temperature of the chicken has reached 170 degrees. If you cook the chicken too long, it will be dry and overdone.
- About 40-60 minutes before dinner, pull the chicken out of the slow cooker and place it in a large bowl. Allow to cool enough that you can handle the chicken without burning yourself.
- Carve the chicken. Set the carcass and any chewy bits/tendons aside; if desired they can be used to start a pot of broth cooking after dinner. Slice the chicken.
- Nestle the chicken back down into the juices in the slow cooker. Reduce the heat to WARM and allow the chicken to soak up the flavorful juices for 20-40 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy! Crispy fried potatoes and caramelized green beans compliment the chicken nicely.
Links to Amazon are affiliate links. If you use these links, your price remains the same, but I earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting this site!