I include some optional spices in the recipe; leave these out (or replace with something else) if you're not using the tortillas for mexican food. The spices make the tortillas extra tasty, though, and would go great with fajitas, tacos, or carnitas.
Makes 5-6 small tortillas (perfect amount for our small family, but double the recipe if you want to have lots)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour, sifted if you're not using an immersion blender*
- 3/4 cup egg whites (from 6-8 eggs, depending on the size) OR 1/2 cup egg whites plus 2 whole eggs**
- 1/4 cup plus 3Tb plain whole milk yogurt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp fine-ground celtic sea salt
- Optional spices: 1/4 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp onion powder, and 1/4 tsp garlic powder (omit these if you're not making mexican food)
- Butter, to cook the tortillas in
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well using a mixer or immersion blender. Let sit for about 10 minutes to let the coconut flour soak up some moisture. The end result should be slightly runnier than pancake batter. If it seems too thick, add a touch of water (or more yogurt). If the tortillas break too easy while you are flipping them, add a touch more coconut flour.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed skillet or griddle over medium heat. I love to use a cast iron griddle for cooking these.
- When a drop of water sizzles immediately, the griddle or skillet is ready. Try not to overheat it, as coconut flour burns fairly easy.
- Melt a little butter to cook the tortillas in. I like to use a cold stick of butter, and just rub it on the griddle.
- Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to get consistent tortillas that are the right size (if they go much bigger, they will break too easily).
- Cook the tortillas in the butter. They are ready to flip after 1-2 minutes (depending on how hot your cook surface is).
- Top with taco meat, carnitas, fajita fixins, or even just some shredded cheese and avocado. Enjoy!
** The tortillas are definitely a bit more rich when you use some whole eggs, but they are still great.
This post is part of Pennywise Platter, Fight Back Friday, Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways, Fat Tuesday and Monday Mania!