This soup is nourishing and really tasty! I make many different types of soup, but this is my new favorite. Extra spices get added to the pot towards the end of cooking, and this really makes a difference in the flavor.
Cheesy Beef and Vegetable Soup
- 2.5-3 pounds of beef roast, sirloin, and/or cheek meat
- Additional beef tallow or butter (if your meat is not very fatty)
- 2 bay leaves
- 7 oz tomato paste, preferably from a glass jar
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 Tb dried oregano, divided in half
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced and divided in half
- 4 Tb fresh basil, minced and divided in half
- 6 cups filtered water
- Celtic sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 summer squash, such as zucchini or yellow crookneck, sliced
- 1 cup green beans (frozen or fresh)
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- Shredded cheddar cheese, to garnish
- Spread the onion over the bottom of a slow cooker (or use an oven-safe pot). Place the beef on top of the onions. If your meat is fairly lean, add a couple tablespoons of tallow or butter to the pot.
- Add the tomato paste, bay leaves, 1/2 Tb dried oregano, 3 cloves sliced garlic, 2 Tb minced fresh basil, and salt and pepper. Add about 6 cups of filtered water to the pot.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours (or in an oven at 225 degrees) or cook on High for 3-4 hours.
- Add carrots, squash, and green beans to the pot, and nestle them down into the sauce.
- Cook on high for another 2-3 hours (or back in the 225 degree oven).
- Pull beef out onto a cutting board. Shred the meat with a fork, or slice it across the grain.
- Return the meat to the pot. Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper as needed. Add the green peas and remaining spices (1/2 Tb oregano, 2 Tb fresh basil, and 3 cloves sliced garlic). Turn the heat to "Warm" (or the oven to 150) and let it sit for 30 to 60 minutes. Don't skip this step as it allows the meat to soak up the juices and get super moist.
- Ladle into bowls and top with a generous handful of shredded cheddar cheese.
This post is part of Fight Back Friday at Food Renegade, Pennywise Platter at The Nourishing Gourmet, Real Food Wednesday with Kelly the Kitchen Kop and Monday Mania at The Healthy Home Economist!