This recipe is also a great base for homemade cocktail sauce. Just add a bit of prepared horseradish to taste, and then dip away!
My Family's Favorite Homemade Ketchup
Makes about 3.5 cups ketchup
- Three 7-oz jars of tomato paste, preferably in glass jars to avoid BPA
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tb raw honey
- 3 Tb raw apple cider vinegar
- 3 small garlic cloves, pressed
- 6 Tb whey
- 2&1/4 tsp finely ground celtic sea salt
- pinch cayenne pepper
- Equipment needed: one quart mason jar, or two pint mason jars
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl (if using a quart mason jar, you can save on dirty dishes by mixing this up directly in the jar). Stir well to combine. If using pint mason jars, pour the ketchup into the jars.
- Ensure that the top of the ketchup is at least 1-inch below the top of the jar(s).
- Using a clean cloth or paper towel, wipe the top of the jar above the ketchup clean.
- Put lid on jar and leave at room temperature for 3 days; then transfer to the refrigerator. It will keep for several months in the fridge.