Quick and Easy Way to Prepare Salad Greens
- Lettuce, arugula, or other greens (this works well for herbs, too)
- Equipment needed: salad spinner (I love my OXO Little Salad Spinner, which has worked flawlessly for many years and is small enough to fit easily in the fridge)
- Begin by ripping the lettuce (or other greens) into bite-sized pieces and placing them directly into the basket of the salad spinner. Do not use a knife to cut the greens unless they will be completely consumed immediately after preparation, as using a knife will cause the cut edges of the greens to brown quickly. I like to prepare as many greens as will fit into the salad spinner which usually means there are leftover greens, so I always hand-rip instead of using a knife.
- Fill the salad spinner with water and gently slosh the lettuce/greens around to wash it.
- Pull the basket out and let the water drain. Instead of pouring the used wash-water down the drain, I like to use it for watering plants.
- Repeat the washing twice more with fresh water. Triple-washing the lettuce/greens ensures that all debris and dirt is fully removed.
- Drain the basket and use the salad spinner to dry the lettuce/greens.
- Any leftover lettuce/greens can be stored directly in the salad spinner in the fridge.