Cranberry Orange Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
- 1/2 cup butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3/4 tsp celtic sea salt
- 6 eggs, preferably pasture-raised
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- zest from half of an organic orange
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup frozen cranberries (don't add extra or the muffins will be too tart)
- Optional equipment: immersion blender* and 3-Tb scoop
- Melt butter or coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Turn off heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, combine the eggs, salt, vanilla extract, and orange extract in a large bowl. If using an immersion blender, pulse a few times to combine. Otherwise, mix to combine with a whisk or mixer.
- Add the honey to the butter (or coconut oil) and stir slightly. Pour this mixture into the wet ingredients and blend well with immersion blender or mixer.
- Measure out the coconut flour. Since coconut flour clumps, it will need to be sifted if you are not using an immersion blender.
- Pour the coconut flour and orange zest into the bowl with the wet ingredients. Use an immersion blender or mixer to thoroughly combine all ingredients, making sure there are no lumps. (Since coconut flour does not contain gluten, there is no worry of over-mixing it).
- Fold in the cranberries with a spoon or spatula.
- Line a muffin tin with paper cups. Scoop the muffin batter into the paper cups. I like to use a 3-Tb scoop for this, but you could just use a large spoon.
- Bake muffins in 325 degree oven for about 40-50 minutes, until muffins are set and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. If you are in a time-crunch, you could bake them at 350 degrees initially, but you'll need to reduce the heat after a bit so they won't burn before being set in the middle.
- Remove from oven and cool.
*Time-saving tip: If you use an immersion blender to combine the ingredients, you can skip the step of sifting the coconut flour. This also gives you less dirty dishes!
This post is part of Fat Tuesday, Monday Mania and Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways!