- Less Plaque on Teeth - Prior to the GAPS diet, my husband and I both had a large amount of plaque on the insides of our lower teeth (we haven't been to the dentist in over 5 years). This plaque has been diminishing little-by-little since we started GAPS. Now there is hardly any plaque at all.
- Drink Less Water - On our previous grain-heavy diet, we drank lots of water throughout the day. We are much less thirsty now than prior to the GAPS diet. I now drink only about one quarter of the water I used to, and seem less prone to getting dehydration headaches.
- Better Sleeping and Napping - Our daughter was 3 and 1/2 years old when we started the GAPS diet. For several months prior, she was phasing out her regular afternoon nap, and would only nap perhaps one or two days a week. This was a problem because we could tell that she still needed a nap on the days she missed it (she was more hyper and easily upset in the evenings). After just a few weeks on GAPS, I noticed that she seemed to be napping much more regularly. This pattern has persisted, as even now she rarely misses an afternoon nap. Additionally, our daughter used to wake up wimpering or crying most nights, and sometimes several times a night. She started sleeping much more soundly once we started GAPS, and for months now she hasn't even made a peep during the night.
- Less Muscle Cramping - My husband has been plagued with muscle cramping for years. Random muscles cramp up if he makes sudden movements or sometimes even just going about day-to-day activities. This muscle cramping has decreased since going on the GAPS diet.
- Less Canker Sores - My husband and I both suffer from canker sores in our mouths. The frequency of these sores has greatly diminished during the GAPS diet. Additionally, the sores we do get are not as severe as they once were.
- More Leg Hair - Over the last few years, I noticed that the amount of hair on my legs was decreasing. By the end of my last pregnancy, my legs were essentially bald from the knee down. Don't get me wrong; this lack of hair was nice as I hardly needed to shave at all. But balding lower legs are actually a little-known sign of adrenal fatigue. While on GAPS, I've noticed that my lower legs are once again growing a normal amount of hair. While not as attractive, this is a great sign that my body is getting healthier.
- My Sweating Problem - Early on in my adult life, I noticed that I sweat way more than most people. I was never overly concerned about my sweating while I was still using the typical antiperspirants, but once I started using "natural" alternatives I basically had to give up wearing cotton shirts as I was embarrassed to have large sweat rings under my arms. It never occured to me that my sweating problem was something that could be cured; I figured it was just part of me. But I have been absolutely amazed to see that the GAPS diet has remedied the problem!
- Clearer Skin - For years, I've had small pimples on my upper arms. These have disappeared while on GAPS.
We're not ready to come off the GAPS diet yet, as we've noticed small reactions when trying to reintroduce starches into our diets. But by now, being on the GAPS diet is no hardship. The food is delicious and we don't feel deprived. I don't think we'll ever go back to relying so heavily on grains, as we just feel so good without them.
Have you had any unexpected results from the GAPS diet (or similar diets such as primal or paleo)?
This post is part of Fight Back Friday at Food Renegade, Pennywise Platter at The Nourishing Gourmet, Real Food Wednesday with Kelly the Kitchen Kop and Monday Mania at The Healthy Home Economist!