Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Homemade Scrubby Bathroom Cleaner

This recipe for bathroom cleaner requires only 4 ingredients, and is much more pleasant to use than those toxic cleaners from the store.  It is incredibly easy to make! This cleaner works very well for scrubbing out bathtubs, sinks, and even toilets!  I use it as an all-purpose cleaner for the bathroom.

Homemade Scrubby Bathroom Cleaner

  • 1/2 cup Kosher Salt (I buy this at the supermarket)
  • 1 cup Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda* (the cheapest place I have found this is Alice.com, where it is less than $4/box)
  • 1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax (I buy this at Target in the detergent aisle)
  • 1 cup Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds
  • 2 cups water
  1. In a large bowl, combine the salt, washing soda, and borax.  Whisk to break up any lumps.
  2. Add the Sal Suds and water.  Whisk to combine.
  3. Using a funnel, pour into the container of your choice.  I store mine in an old half-gallon milk container, which makes it easy to pour and stores easily under the bathroom sink.
  4. To use the cleaner, simply pour out a little bit and then scrub with a brush or rag.  A little bit of cleaner goes a long way! Rinse clean with plenty of water. 
*I haven't tried it, but I bet you could substitute plain old baking soda for the super washing soda.  I already keep the super washing soda on-hand for making homemade laundry detergent.  Let me know if you try it with baking soda, and how it turns out!

This post is part of Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about your Walmart, but in Ruidoso, Walmart is selling the washing soda now for something like $2.80 a box. Smith's in Socorro and Albuquerque also has it so you might check around stores in LC. Thanks for the recipe, can't wait to try it! Lisa in Capitan

Sarah Faith said...

So that doc bronner's thing sounds interesting, but it contains SLS.

Sarah Faith said...

I know it's a small amount, obviously, but if I'm avoiding it in shampoo and skin care and toothpaste I feel weird purposely buying it in a cleaning product. http://www.ewg.org/news/ugly-face-our-cosmetics

Sarah Smith said...

Yes, it has SLS. But... it is not going on or in your body. It works great for scrubbing counters, sinks, and tubs! I do wear gloves when I scrub the bathroom, though, because otherwise my hands get very dry, so maybe this would be more of an issue otherwise...

Sarah Smith said...

We don't have a Smith's anymore. I don't normally shop at Walmart, but I'll see if my mom can check for me when I run out (since she goes there anyway). Thanks Lisa!

Natalie said...

Awesome! I have not tried to make a scrubby cleaner yet (except simple baking soda or borax with water) and this looks like a perfect recipe. I am wondering if you think regular Dr. Bronner's Castile soap would not be strong enough? I have that and all the other ingredients on hand, but not the Sal's Suds.

Sarah Smith said...

It might work fine with castIle soap instead. I do find that the Sal Suds is a bit stronger and definitely more sudsy. If you try it with Castile soap, let me know how it turns out!

Anonymous said...

If your mom goes, it is probably located on the bottom shelf somewhere in the detergent aisle. Here, ours isn't with the detergents but is across from them I think. They sell big boxes of baking soda and washing soda next to each other. I gave you the wrong price too...it's more like $3.60 or something so may not be enough savings to warrant buying it at Walmart.

Sarah Smith said...

Okay, thanks for the info Lisa! I think it is $3.80 on Alice.com, and I already order other things from there too so we'll see what works out best.

Brooke said...

Interesting post. I actually just taught a class on how to make your own cleaning products. I personally use Castile soap from Dr. Bronner's (I like that it has essential oils in it) or Mountain Rose. Neither have SLS as an ingredient. The simplest scrub to make is baking soda, water and castile soap. You can add a little borax, salt or washing soda for scrubbing toilets. Thanks for sharing.

Sarah Smith said...

Thanks for sharing, Brooke!

Kristina said...

I didn't exactly follow your recipe but I used it as inspiration and it works great! Thanks!

Sarah Smith said...

Great, Kristina!

Sarah Smith said...

I've never tried those, but give them a shot! I bet they'd work fine.

Unknown said...

Everything would be fine with these cleaners, in case they would also kill all of the bacteria :) But there is no such a situation :) So my suggestion would be for you to use professional cleaners. I can even recommend you ones I love the most- deutsche Reiniger für Hof :) For those who care about their health :)

Unknown said...

Homemade Scrubby Bathroom Cleaner - Useful post!