Anytime my son sees Brussels sprouts at the store, he begs me to buy them. Once we are home, I prepare them simply into Maple Butter Brussels Sprouts. We devour them until every last bit is gone.
Maple Butter Brussels Sprouts
- 2&1/2 cups Brussels sprouts
- filtered water
- 3 Tb butter, preferably from grassfed cows
- 1-2 Tb organic maple syrup
- finely ground celtic sea salt
- Prepare the Brussles sprouts for cooking by removing any withered or damaged leaves. Trim off the ends if they look dried out. Then cut the Brussels sprouts into halves (or quarters if they are especially large). Place them into a
- Add enough filtered water to cover the bottom of the pot. In my small pot, I add water until it comes up to about 1/3-inch from the bottom of the pot.
- Put a lid on the pot, but leave it cracked a bit for steam to escape. Cook the Brussels sprouts on medium-high heat for about 10 minutes.
- Take the lid off the pot and crank up the heat to high. Add the butter and a generous sprinkle of salt.
- Let any remaining water cook off, then caramelize the Brussels sprouts for about 5 minutes by letting them get a little color. Of course you don't want to burn them, but do let the Brussels sprouts develop some brown color. Don't walk away during this step; rather watch to see when you need to stir so the sprouts don't get burned.
- Drizzle in the maple syrup and stir to coat the Brussels sprouts. Sizzle for a minute or so, and then remove from heat.
- Spoon into bowls and enjoy!.